Nov 11 2013 - Preliminary steps before proceeding with any fencing project. Some are simply good ideas, some are necessary:
* Discuss your plans with any neighbors whose property lies along your proposed fence line. They may even split the cost with you.
* Make sure your fence will be on your property.
* Check for easements in your deed. An easement is a right-of-way granted to another property owner or utility company, which may limit the design and location of your fence.
* Check local zoning laws, which may regulate the size and placement of your fence. Check with your neighborhood association before proceeding with your plans.
* Apply for the proper building permit as directed by local code.