May 30 2013 - Before proceeding with any fencing project, a few preliminary steps are in order. Some are simply good ideas, some are necessary:
- Discuss your plans with any neighbors whose property lies along your proposed fence line. They may even split the cost with you.
- Make sure your fence will be on your property.
- Check for easements in your deed. An easement is a right-of-way granted to another property owner or utility company, which may limit the design and location of your fence.
- Check local zoning laws, which may regulate the size and placement of your fence. Check with your neighborhood association before proceeding with your plans.
- Apply for the proper building permit as directed by local code.